Dr Vivian Yvonne SHIN 冼念慈
- Breast Surgery
Dr Vivian Y. Shin is the Research Assistant Professor in the Division of Breast Surgery of Department of Surgery at the University of Hong Kong. She obtained her PhD in Department of Pharmacy at the University of Hong Kong. She completed her post-doctoral training in Department of Medicine at the Chinese University of Hong Kong on molecular signaling in gastrointestinal cancers. She joined the Department of Surgery at the University of Hong Kong in 2009.
Her research interest mainly focuses on the dissection of molecular biology and targets of triple-negative breast cancer, and also the cancer biology on breast cancer metastasis. By establishing a robust blood-based platform for identification of biomarker, she and her team was the first to identify discriminate biomarkers for breast cancer and triple-negative breast cancer. She continued to work on translating these discoveries into potential treatment strategy for breast cancer. Besides, the established metastatic animal models facilitated the study on the global mRNA characterization on the heterogeneity within the tumor bulk is essential in pursuing the tumor-stromal interaction in malignant transformation and disease progression.
- Identification and characterization of miRNAs in breast cancer subtypes – diagnosis, prognosis and treatment monitoring
- Regulation of non-coding RNAs in breast cancer metastasis and chemoresistance
- Genetic and epigenetic changes in breast cancer pathogenesis and treatment
- Genetic mutations and potential treatment in hereditary breast cancers
- Lifestyle and risk factors associated with breast cancer progression and drug resistance
Publications and achievements
|HKU Scholars Hub/ ORCID|